WEEE Compliance

Producers and Distributors of WEEE

You are a producer of WEEE if you:

  • Manufacture EEE under your own brand and place it on the UK market.
  • Rebrand EEE and resell that which has been manufactured by someone else.
  • Import EEE from outside the UK and place it on to the UK market.

The phrase ‘to place on the UK market’ means to sell and refers to the first time it is placed on to the UK market.

You are also a producer if you are established outside of the UK and supply EEE directly to the UK market.

If you are classified as a producer you must:

  • Join a Producer Compliance Scheme (PCS) if you place more than 5 tonnes a year of EEE on to the UK market
  • Become registered with a compliance scheme on or before 15 November each year
  • Register as a new producer of EEE with a PCS and the relevant environment agency within 28 days of first placing EEE on the UK market
  • Mark all products with a crossed out wheelie bin, a date mark and a producer identification mark
  • Keep records including the weights of all EEE you have placed on to the UK market by quarter in order to provide information to your PCS on a quarterly basis on the amount, in tonnes, of household EEE that you have placed on the market
  • Keep records including the weights of all non-household EEE you sell and have placed on to the UK market and report this to your PCS annually
  • Provide information on recycling, reuse and environmentally sound management of the EEE you place on to the UK market so that it can receive effective treatment at the end of its life

Producers of EEE that place less than 5 tonnes of EEE on the UK Market in a single compliance year may register directly with the relevant environment agency as a small producer or join a PCS.
Producers of EEE that place 5 tonnes or more of EEE on the UK market must join a compliance scheme.


Distributors of EEE

You are a distributor of EEE if you:

  • Sell EEE on a commercial basis to end-users in the UK. This is irrespective of selling technique and includes retailers, internet retailers, wholesalers, telesales etc.

If you are classified as a distributor you must:

  • Provide a free take back service – You must have a service set up which allows customers to bring back their electrical and electronic equipment waste for safe disposal. There are three ways in which you can achieve this. Firstly, you can provide a take back service in store. You must take back all types of electrical and electronic equipment that you sell. Once collected you may contact your producer compliance scheme (PCS). The PCS will arrange for the waste to be recycled or prepared for re-use at an Approved Authorised Treatment Facility (AATF).
    Secondly you could set up an alternative take back service where customers are able to take different types of EEE to a designated collection facility.
    Lastly, distributors of EEE may join a distributor take back scheme. This involves paying a fee based on how much EEE you sell. This means you do not have to take back, store or dispose of any electrical and electronic equipment waste. The money goes to supporting recycling centres which are run by local authorities.
    Please note the service you provide must be free for your customer and you can only charge if you collect items from a customer’s home.
  • Provide information to EEE users – You must inform your customers which take back service you provide, how to recycle or reuse their EEE, why the waste should be separated from other waste, damaging effects of not disposing of EEE properly and the meaning of the crossed-out wheelie bin symbol. This information must be in writing and also applies to internet retailers.
  • Keep all records – You will need to keep a record of the EEE received and returned to a PCS of what information you give to your customers about the EEE you collect, EEE that gets collected by a PCS and where they should take their electrical and electronic waste. Records must be kept for 4 years.

A producer can also be a distributor, for example they may manufacture and then sell directly to the consumer. If your company is a producer and distributor, then you must fulfil both obligations.